Sunday, March 15, 2009

PR and your next job interview

So, if you have been following my blog, like I'm sure all of you do, then you would have read my post about personal PR. If you didn't here's a recap. Personal PR is how you present yourself to the publics you come into contact with. Now, in my original post, I went over the general topic, but since so many people I know are having so much trouble getting a job, I figure that now is as good a time as any to give some pointers, from a PR perspective.
Now, there are a couple common mistakes that I often see, when people tell me how the job search is going. They are normally a combination of these factors, appearance, confidence, perception among hiring managers, and likability. Now, as PR students and professionals, we know that all of these things are based in opinions of interested publics, something that PR should be able to sway. So I'll go through these one by one and explain how, from a PR perspective, I can help you get a job.

1. Appearance- When applying for a job among a sea of qualified applicants, I find that managers have to find other things to make their decisions for them. A major one is appearance. But not just when you go to interview, from the moment you step in the building to drop off an application or apply for the job, you should understand the environment and dress to create the desired reaction from that building.

2. Confidence- Another thing that I often hear about is that soft voice, of the unsure tone when asking about information. Who wants to hire someone who can't even express themselves in a audible tone? What public would want to here what they are saying?

3. Perception among hiring managers- This one is a little overlap from the first two, but it is so important that it needed its own mention. When you go in for the interview or to inquire about the position, it is crucial that you leave a tailored footprint in the mind of the manager, something that can give you the edge over other applicants.

4. likability- Above all the others, this one, I think, is most important. Though they might be managers or owners and very rich, people are still people. They have feelings and let their feelings guide their actions more than we may think. Being liked by those in the office when you inquire about the job or during the interview or when you are shaking hands, is a very powerful tool. A warm person can relate on a special level and get things that maybe they shouldn't.

Alas, these are my tips, feel free to add your own and tell me what you think. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment