Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Obama's Mistake

I was reading an article on www.cnn.com about how President Barack Obama admitted he was wrong in his decision to select Tom Daschle as his Health and Human Services Secretary.

Daschle withdrew on Tuesday when it was discovered he failed to pay taxes in the past. There were errors which included falsely reporting $15,000 in charitable donations and failing to list $80,000 in lobbing income. Daschle said that it was a paperwork error.

Critics are questioning Obama’s call for a culture change in Washington. Obama was quoted saying: "Ultimately, I campaigned on changing Washington and bottom-up politics," Obama said. "And I don't want to send a message to the American people that there are two sets of standards -- one for powerful people and one for ordinary folks who are working every day and paying their taxes."

I personally don’t see why Obama is apologizing for Daschle. It was Daschle’s fault for being negligent and making false claims. I understand it was Obama’s decision to appoint Daschle has his Health and Human Services Secretary but I don’t see this as being Obama’s fault.

Do you think this was Obama mistake? Do you think that Daschle’s tax problems sent a message that the more powerful are treated differently than average people? What would you have done in this situation?

To see the full story, follow this link: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/03/obama.daschle/index.html


Talk to you guys later!

Kiah

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't necessarily blame Obama for the mistake but I'd blame the team that helped him select his cabinet. I mean, three of his selections had controversy with tax problems...why wasn't their any financial background checks done? Too much of the blame was put on Pres. Obama,I personally don't think that he should've apologized but from a PR perspective it was the best move.

    ReplyDelete