Thursday, April 2, 2009

An early April fools joke

I’m going to try and take you back in time a little bit. Now, do you remember the stress of applying to colleges? I know I sure do. There was the filling out of a bunch of applications and wondering which colleges would accept me. Well, can you imagine getting rejected by a school that you wanted to attend and then receive an e-mail saying welcome to our university? Confusing, right? Well, that’s what happened with UC San Diego on Tuesday. Apparently, they mistakenly sent e-mails out to 28,889 applicants congratulating them on their acceptance and to welcome them to the university. After realizing their mistake a half-hour later, a second e-mail was sent apologizing to those same 28,889 freshman applicants. Assistant Vice Chancellor Mae said, “No member of this department is more acutely aware of the emotional roller coaster that this could cause for our applicants." And even though that this isn’t the first school to do this, this incident is known as the biggest “screw up.”

What do you think? Do you think they handled this very well? I don’t. I think their statement of them being aware of the emotional roller coaster this has caused is not enough. By their somewhat flippant statement, I don’t believe they are aware of the problems they have caused. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Talk to you soon,
Kiah

No comments:

Post a Comment